Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Work skirts

Right, so it’s been ages since I was last here. Sorry about that. It was not due to a lack of sewing, more a lack of blogging. Plus Christmas and New Year was a busy time – I was away a lot. Then I went backpacking around Asia (which was amazing). Anyway, I'm back now.

To demonstrate how rubbish I’ve been at blogging, I made 4 skirts a good 6 months ago when I needed some new work skirts.

These first 2 are both McCalls 5523 views A and C. I love the ruffle on C. I did not make any design changes to these skirts but I did make petite adjustments, removing 8cm at the petite line, and then a few cms at the hem to get it to a length I like.

View A



View C


The grey fabric in view A is a cotton with lycra suiting fabric from Gardams Fabrics in Brisbane. The stripey fabric is a polyester/rayon/spandex suiting fabric from Vogue Fabrics in the US.

The fabric in view C is black with white and pink stripes. It's really pretty for the office. I used the rolled hem feature on my overlocker to finish the edges of the ruffle.


The third skirt is from Vogue 1021. I changed the design quite a bit. My inspiration was Chanel RTW Spring 2010 collection (which I love!) Obviously, the Chanel version is a bit short for work.

Source: Style.com



To make it Chanel-like, I removed the back seam and added a side zip. I removed a good 15cm from the length. I also added slits to the sides and used the selvage as the hem. I started making a jacket but then it got warm again and I lost interest in it. I will come back to sometime this year.


The fabric a gorgeous Chanel inspired rayon/poly/cotton blend by Rebecca Taylor. I got it from Manhattan Fabrics in the US. I created a lining using a pink cotton voile and attached it to the facing. It comes to the top of the slits so you can't see it.


The forth skirt I made was on whim, also using Vogue 1021. I found an 80cm navy cotton sateen remnant in Gardams Fabrics and decided it would be enough to make a skirt. I really wanted a ruffle on the bottom so I used the back ruffle piece (folded in half) from view C of Butterick 5249. It turns out, 80cm was just enough but I did have to get creative with the pattern placement.




Here is a close up of the skirt details. I used the rolled hem feature on my overlocker to finish the edge of the ruffle.




2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have been busy! Great skirts. Each one is better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good skirt and yours are great. Love the variety and how each one looks different!

    ReplyDelete