Saturday, March 26, 2011

Another day, another Cynthia Steffe dress!

Ok, I’ve realised that I seem to be really drawn to the Cynthia Steffe dresses. They are gorgeous though so why not? Here is the latest one I’ve made: Vogue 1207.



I was drawn to the sleeves and the V back on this design. The only thing I don’t really like is the middle section. Without a belt, it looks kinda frumpy. This could be a result of my fabric though, which is very stretchy so it pulls the dress down. It is a poly/lycra 4 way stretch thing from Gardams Fabrics in Brisbane. It is not the easiest fabric to work with (slippery) but it feels really slinky and nice.


I love the fabric pattern and the red is a pinky red which is a better colour for me. I also think it’s quite similar to this Giles Resort 2011 design, which I also love!

Source: style.com
This dress wasn't difficult to make, but I spent quite a bit of time tacking pieces together and the pleats etc. as a result of the fabric. As usual I omitted the lining and I used Amanda S’ tutorial for finishing the neckline with bias tape. I also used this Fashion Incubator tutorial as a guide for finishing the V at the point.


Originally I used bias tape to finish the sleeves but they looked odd, so I unpicked them and finished them normally with my sewing machine/overlocker.

The pattern instructions do not specify the number of tacks or how far apart they should be. I have 5 in each sleeve, 1 inch apart.



Given the stretchiness of the fabric I left out the back zip and cut the back bodice and skirt pieces on the fold, omitting the 1.5cm seam allowance. As a result, my V is not as deep as the original design. However, this has worked in my favour because I can easily wear a strapless bra underneath now without it showing. Note: a strapless bra is better as the shoulders do slip as you wear it. This doesn’t bother me, but is worth noting if it would annoy you.


Overall, I'm pleased with how this dress turned out even though I started it last year and it was at risk of becoming a UFO!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really gorgeous dress. I'd be smiling too. The fabric is perfect for this style. I think the sleeves are a great feature of the dress.

    ReplyDelete