Sunday, August 1, 2010

Simplicity 2508 Project Runway trench

Ok, so this is one I finished in time for our winter but I only just got around to taking some photos. My inspiration was the Burberry Prorsum spring 2010 collection. I just loved all the ruffles and pastel colours. My favourite was this gorgeous pink trench:


Unfortunately it cost approx $2600 US, just a bit out of my price range! So I thought about making it and set out to find a trench pattern that closely resembles the Burberry.

To me it looks like a basic trench but with fancy sleeves. So it was a toss up between Simplicity 2508 and McCalls 5525 and after looking at the details and the reviews on PatternReview.com I went with the Simplicity pattern.

The next step was to work out how to do those sleeves. This is where I became stuck and my dream of owning the fake Burberry (i.e. the Furberry) was about to be dashed. But, I kept digging and stumbled across this excellent and creative blog. Thanks to Chic Cheat, the Furberry was back in business!

Next up was the fabric (and buttons) which I found at Sckafs, Indooroopilly. It is a 97% cotton and 3% lycra blend in light pink. I chose a cotton voile for the lining which matched perfectly in colour. Like many people first experiencing Project Runway patterns, working out the correct amount of fabric needed was not easy and I ended up having to go back and buy more.

I cut the size 8 short coat pattern and made a basic muslin to begin with. This turned out to be a good idea as I had to move the front princess seams towards the centre by 1cm and tailor the back seams in by about 2cm near the waist to make it more fitted. I also took 5cm off the length at the bottom and 2.5cm from the petite adjustment line in the bodice. I took the sleeves in by 2.5cm and up by the same amount. This was fine until I changed the look of the sleeves (see below).

I followed Chic Cheat's methods for the sleeves at the muslin stage and made some minor changes. Mine only needed to be about 20cm wide. I also cut back on the length. Following her methods I made 3 separate pieces per sleeve but tailored to fit the Simplicity pattern.




I then stumbled across this Furberry on http://www.asos.com/ and I really liked the bottom of the sleeves, so I gathered mine. This means they are a tad short now, but I like the overall look.





I also changed the collar to be more like the Burberry. The ones provided with the pattern were not right for the Furberry, so I altered one of them until it looked how I wanted. Additionally I added 2 belt loops at the sides and a collar loop for hanging up.

This was the first coat I'd lined. I cut the pieces according to Claire Shaeffer's High Fashion Sewing Techniques and read various blogs for bagging a lining. I am happy enough with it, although it's not perfect.


Overall I'm really happy with how this trench turned out, I love the colour and love the ruffles. Now if only we get a few more cold days before summer's back so I can wear it!













2 comments:

  1. Ohmy! This is such a wonderful interpretation of the designer trench. Love, love, love how you combined the different elements to get what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great! thanks for the sleeve inspiration! i shall definitely try it sometime...
    cheers! :)
    http://sewingyourstyle.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete